Have questions about the NAA18 proposal submission process? Look below to see if your question is included in our FAQs.
Still have questions? Contact Presentation Managers Erin Leonard and Shaina Cook at Presenters@naaweb.org.
What are some general tips and reminders for creating a competitive session proposal?
See some of our top tips below. Be sure to join our informational webinar on September 19 to learn more!
- Use complete sentences in your proposal. This will help proposal reviewers and participants gain a clearer picture of what you plan to share and do in your session.
- Write a title and description that are accurate and would draw an audience. When you read your title and session description, would you be interested in attending?
- Incorporate interactive components into your session. Participants aren’t likely to want to sit through a lecture – they want to work with and learn from each other! Consider ways to break up your session with activities, pair-and-shares, group discussions, and hands-on learning experiences. Remember to also leave time for audience Q&A.
- Identify the right audience experience level for your session. Participants should feel like they are learning something new, working toward advancing to the next level in their careers, and be continually engaged during a session. Review the content levels below to determine which level your session best aligns with.
- The maximum number of presenters for each session is four: one lead presenter (who will serve as the main contact for the session) and up to three co-presenters.
- Presenting at Convention is an excellent opportunity to highlight the important work you do and a great learning opportunity. Consider what you do well that can be taught to others. The goal is to replicate success and build capacity for the field!
My session will include a product or service available to Convention participants. Do I need to also purchase exhibit space in the Learning Expo?
If you will be demonstrating or sharing products or services for purchase by participants, you will need to purchase exhibit space in the Learning Expo in order to have your proposal considered. We have a select number of sessions set aside for exhibitors, but it is still a competitive process and workshop content will be considered.
If you will be sharing free products or services, we encourage you to purchase exhibit space in the Learning Expo to reach the breadth of Convention participants. Either way, your proposal will be considered as part of the competitive review process and there is a chance you may be asked to purchase an exhibit space in order for your proposal to be accepted.
Can Exhibitors present sessions?
Yes. We have a select number of sessions set aside for exhibitors, but it is still a competitive process that we take seriously, based on the quality of your presentation proposal.
Confirmed exhibitors are welcome to submit their presentation ideas through the call for proposals. There is a question in the form that asks if you are sharing products or service for purchase or for free. Please make sure to answer that question accurately. If you have a product for purchase, you will need to purchase exhibit space in the Learning Expo in order to have your proposal considered.
Will I be able to edit my session proposal once I've submitted it?
Yes! You can log back in and edit your proposal any time between September 12 – October 16. We close the platform at midnight EST on Monday, October 16, so make sure to fully complete your proposal and finish any editing before midnight.
I've never presented before. Can I still submit a session proposal?
Yes! We encourage staff of all levels of experience to apply. We train presenters on our expectations, requirements, and how to give a great presentation. It takes a lot of work to present at Convention, but it’s an excellent opportunity to highlight the important work you do and a great learning opportunity.
Please note that 2.5-Hour Intensives are intended to be led by experienced trainers and leaders. That said, we welcome new presenters to submit proposals for Workshop Sessions and Spark Sessions!
I can only present on a specific day during Convention. Can I still submit a proposal?
We ask all potential presenters to plan to attend all of Convention. If accepted, you’ll receive your exact session date and time in January 2018. If you have an extenuating circumstance, please contact Presentation Managers Erin Leonard and Shaina Cook at Presenters@naaweb.org.
Do presenters receive a discounted rate for registration?
Yes, lead presenters receive a $200 discount off of registration fees. We are not able to offer the discount to co-presenters. You can register today to lock-in our lowest rate and we’ll refund the discount if you’re an accepted lead presenter.
Where can I learn more about NAA's Core Knowledge and Competencies (CKCs)?
Learn more about NAA’s CKCs.