Type: Full Time Exempt (40 hrs./week) Posted: July 12, 2021
Salary Range: $65,000-75,000/yr. Application Deadline: 1 PM ET July 26, 2021
Location: Remote Position Start Date: August - September 2021
The National AfterSchool Association (NAA), the professional membership organization for those who work with and behalf of young people during Out-of-School Time, is hiring a Communications Director.
NAA’s 32,000 members represent a diversity of voices, roles, and experiences, but are united in a commitment to children, families, and communities. This position will play an essential role in supporting NAA in fostering positive youth outcomes by supporting, developing, and advocating for afterschool professionals and leaders. As a national association, we deploy our mission through people-centered programs and partnerships, building equity, access, and connections to create a strong, valued profession that benefits kids, families, and communities.
In this newly created position, the Communications Director, will have the opportunity to shape the systems and processes that the organization will use for external communications.
The ideal candidate will be inspired by NAA’s mission and passionate about building equity and connections. They will be a skilled communicator, writer, and editor who is also adept at marketing through a variety of communications channels.
Commitment to Equity
As we grow the NAA team we strive to create an affirming, welcoming, environment that values diversity. We are committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive.
Because of our commitment to equity and our work that is rooted in the tenets of youth development, including continuous improvement, it is extremely important that the new Communications Director is comfortable engaging around these topics, is self-reflective, and willing to challenge themselves and others to continually learn and grow.
People of color and members of other historically excluded groups are encouraged to apply.
Major Roles + Responsibilities
● Working with the NAA team to create and coordinate an annual marketing and communications strategy and calendar.
● Establishing systems for and creating (or managing the creation of), design development, and editing of all organizational communications (enews, eblasts, bi-annual digital magazine).
● Ensuring content aligned with NAA’s mission, strategic focus areas, and target general or specific audiences. Achieving balance in coverage of issues that impact and resources that support the afterschool field, the profession, and its professionals. Sourcing content from Affiliates, executive members, funders, partners, stakeholders, and media.
● Developing a social media engagement strategy with aligned goals, plans, and data review points.
● Promoting engagement through NAA’s social media accounts (LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook); managing the content and timing of social media posts.
● Seeking, securing, and fulfilling digital advertising opportunities, supporting Convention exhibit booth and sponsorships sales (booths and on-site items will be fulfilled by Convention logistics partner).
● Determining, collecting, analyzing communication metrics. Reporting metrics with suggestions for leveraging communications for growth and engagement.
● Write, edit, proofread, and coordinate other materials as needed.
More Ideal Candidate Qualifications
● A minimum 4 years of work experience in communications and marketing, ideally for a mission-driven or non-profit organization.
● 2- or 4-year degree in communications, marketing, or related field preferred, but not required.
● Experience and strong working knowledge growing engagement through content creation and promotion across digital platforms - web, social media, e-marketing and basic graphic design. Member engagement, visual, video storytelling, and editing are a plus.
● Proficient in Microsoft Office, multiple social media, and collaboration platforms (Google Suite, Dropbox), experience with basic graphic design software (Canva, Adobe), and email marketing systems. Customer relationship management (CRM) systems or association management systems (AMS) experience is a plus.
● Success managing projects involving multiple contributors, deadlines, and audiences.
● Experience understanding and presenting data metrics.
● Comfort making straightforward website and system updates (coding not required).
● Background in or understanding of issues affecting the afterschool field and afterschool workforce is helpful.
This position may be a good fit for you if…
● You like to write and edit and are good at it. You have experience turning fuzzy or complex writing into clear, concise, compelling, and relatable communications.
● You appreciate working in a small, agile team and sharing leadership.
● You are flexible, willing to share ideas, and raise questions.
● You like to work hard and have fun, often at the same time.
● You appreciate efficiency and enjoy creating systems to simplify processes.
● You think strategically and can work tactically and creatively with attentiveness to details and deadlines.
● You want to -- and want others to -- answer yes to these questions related to your work: Is it beautiful? Is it inspiring? Will it change something? Do you love it?
● You believe deeply in NAA’s mission.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) exempt remote position; occasional travel and evening or weekend meetings may be required. The expected salary range is $65,000 - $75,000 depending on qualifications and experience.
In addition, NAA offers the following:
● Health Benefits Stipend
● Short and Long-Term Disability and Life Insurance
● Paid Time Off - including holidays, short winter break, days for self and family care.
● Flexible Work Schedule
● 401K Option with employer match after one year
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION
In addition to providing basic information, candidates applying should be prepared to answer these questions in lieu of a cover letter:
1. Are you an NAA Member?
2. Using the NAA Strategic Framework 2020-24 and this Communications Director Job Description as a guide, highlight your top experience, skills, and dispositions that illustrate your ability to provide communications that support NAA's mission and strategic focus areas and prepare you to be successful as NAA's Communications Director.
3. Why are you interested in joining the NAA team?
You will also be asked to upload:
● A current resume or CV
● A professional portfolio or relevant work samples
Applications are only accepted online. Submissions received by 1:00 PM ET on Monday July 26, 2021, will be given full consideration. All applications will be held confidentially and acknowledged via an email receipt from Google Forms email@example.com with the subject line National AfterSchool Association Communications Director Application. If you complete an application and don’t receive this email, check your email’s spam folder.
Consideration will be given to applications as they are received. Candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted by a member of the NAA team. We encourage early applications; interviewing will begin the week of July 19.