In their 2014 NAA Annual Convention presentation "Using Technology to Reach Your Students," Frazier and Curry identify free apps and websites for a variety of purposes.
- Dropbox.com allows you to store files in a "cloud," so you can access them even if you forget your flash drive, or the school server is down. It is also a great way to share resources with students.
- Keeper is a free app that provides secure storage for your passwords.
- Storia, by Scholastic, is a free app that includes five free Scholastic titles, with more available for purchase.
- Storylineonline.net provides free narrated storybooks, which young readers can listen to and read along with in digital format.
- Wegivebooks.org is free, but requires registration to access its video collection of picture books being read.
- Zite is a free app that provides access to magazine and newspaper articles, blogs, and videos, analyzing past "likes" to suggest items you'll find interesting.
- Donorschoose.org provides a platform for teachers to describe their projects and funding needs, allowing donors to select their favorites.
- Teacherspayteachers.com allows teachers to buy, sell, and share their original teaching materials.
- IXL is a website and a free app with interactive K-12 math and language arts skills practice.
- Brainpop and Brainpop Jr. are free apps and websites with a variety of interactive games and other resources for academic subjects and other topics.
LOOK LIKE A TECH WIZARD ... EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT!
- Animoto.com provides "shockingly easy" software to turn your photos into video slideshows with a soundtrack.
- Bitstrips is a free app and a website that allows you and your students to create cartoons, building original characters that can be shared across digital platforms.
- Flipagram is a free app that will create a video with soundtrack using pictures from your Facebook or Instagram accounts, or from your phone, and can be shared in a variety of platforms, including e-mail.
- Best Apps for Kids provides information on new apps as well as old favorites, and also features a "Free App Friday."
- Smarttech.com is an online community for sharing Smart Board compatible presentations and activities.
- Surveymonkey.com allows teachers to set up quick digital surveys to check understanding, collect feedback, get to know students, and practice test-taking skills.