The National AfterSchool Association knows it takes a selfless person to do the work you do. However, it’s important to note that proper self-care is not selfish. It’s about being in tune with your emotions, communicating clearly, and speaking up for yourself. Self-care is allowing yourself to say yes or no, guilt-free, and to model this for others.
In honor of Self-Care Awareness Month, we encourage our members to make a commitment to yourself during the month of September. Try implementing at least one form of self-care into your daily routine. It can be something as simple as intentional morning breaths, going outside for a walk in nature, or relaxing with your favorite book.
For more ideas, check out these resources:
- The Afterschool Professional’s Guide to Self-Care
- Put On Your Oxygen Mask First
- 104 Self-Care Strategies for Afterschool Professionals
- Self-Care A-Z: Daily Dose of Self-Care in September
- Caring for Your Mental Health