It is imperative that we, afterschool leaders and professionals, ensure youth feel they are in a safe and supportive learning environment, no matter if they're learning in-person or virtually.
The National Association of School Psychologists have offered tips and materials for educators looking to support youth during this tumultuous time.
- Understand the effect of stressors and trauma on school functioning.
- Equip staff to provide trauma-sensitive responses and supports.
- Be sensitive to family stressors.
- Identify children and youth who are at high risk and plan interventions.
- Understand cultural views regarding mental health.
- Engage and empower families.
- Access community resources.
- Stop any type of harassment or bullying immediately.
- Focus on student strengths, and promote a sense of belonging.
Courtesy of NAA.