On Tuesday, March 10, we're teaming up with the Afterschool Alliance and afterschool professionals from around the country to meet face to face with members of Congress and urge them to support kids and families who rely on afterschool programs.
- Afterschool for All Challenge participants will bring powerful stories to our nation's capital to share with our federal elected officials on Tuesday, March 20. (Registration for the Challenge is closed, unfortunately).
- At the Convention, we'll host prep workshops and trainings on Monday afternoon to prepare you to meet with your representative, and learn ways you can engage with your local policymakers when you return home.
- We'll share a Challenge info-packet at registration for all Challenge participants, outlining your personalized Challenge schedule.
- You'll receive training on Monday afternoon on how to be an effective advocate for afterschool and then you'll hone those advocacy skills by participating in meetings on Capitol Hill with your elected officials.
- Your voice matters – after last year's meeting the number of co-sponsors of the Afterschool for America's Children Act more than quadrupled!
If you can't make it to DC, but still want to help:
Congress need to hear from constituents like you who care about making afterschool for all a reality. In the coming months we'll be sharing everything you need to reach out from home, including sample scripts and a guide for planning a district meeting with your local Congressional office, courtesy of the Afterschool Alliance. Check back for more updates.
Use the hash tag #Invest3to6 to encourage your representatives to support afterschool and the Afterschool for All Challenge.
Last year, participants from 46 states met with their senators and representatives to talk about the many ways afterschool programs support children, families, school and communities, and to urge them to support the Afterschool for America's Children Act. Hundreds more afterschool supporters participated in the event from their own communities.
Make plans to join us in DC today!