The mission of the National AfterSchool Association is to foster development, provide education, and encourage advocacy for the out-of-school-time community.
NAA is the membership association for professionals who work with children and youth in diverse school and community-based settings to provide a wide variety of extended learning opportunities and care during out-of-school hours. Our members include afterschool program directors, coordinators, sponsors, front-line staff, school leaders, principals, teachers, paraprofessionals, board of education members, non-profit leaders, advocates, community leaders, policymakers, researchers, and more. We respect and celebrate our diversity. NAA is working to assure that the vision of high-quality learning experiences for all children and youth, both in and out of school, becomes a reality through the application of the NAA core competencies in afterschool programs. NAA recognizes that quality afterschool programs provide positive child and youth development and meet a critical need for keeping kids safe and families productively employed. NAA understands that families need a wide range of interesting and age-appropriate programming choices to be available and accessible when their children are not in school.
- Publications, resources, and services that reflect best-practice thinking of the profession.
- Dissemination of ideas and information that support the professional development needs of members in the field.
- The only national convention in the field for afterschool professionals.
- A user-friendly, informational website and regular electronic communications for members.
- Access to affordable training, technical assistance, and professional development for afterschool program staff.
- Access to a members-only professional resources and consultation services.
- That equitable, adequate, and accessible afterschool program opportunities be created universally and that investments in afterschool programming come from school, local community, state, and federal for-profit and non-profit sources.
- That efforts to create public awareness about the importance, benefits, and return on investment of afterschool programming be increased.
NAA has 30 state affiliates across the US. Our affiliates are statewide organizations aligned with NAA’s mission to inspire, connect, and equip afterschool professionals. Affiliate missions and strategies promote quality afterschool programs and professional development in their states. The strong and supportive relationships between NAA and its state Affiliates creates a national network that builds connectivity among stakeholders and creates opportunities for engagement that ensure vibrant future for our field. Most state affiliates offer benefit packages that include local benefits and an NAA Ambassador level membership. To get connected your state affiliate and to take advantage of local benefits, click here.
NAA exists to inspire, connect, and equip professionals who meet this critical need for young people. Click here to view NAA's Strategic Plan for 2015-2018.